About the Clerk's Office
The office of Clerk of Courts was established by the Florida Constitution as an elected state constitutional officer in 1838. The Clerk of Courts performs a wide range of duties, including record keeping, information management, and financial management for both the court system and their county.
Ronnie Fussell is the Clerk of the Circuit and County Courts in and for Duval County, Florida.
Get to know Ronnie Fussell
Ronnie Fussell is currently the Duval County Clerk of the Circuit & County Courts, a constitutional officer, elected in January of 2013. As an officer of the court his primary statutory responsibility is to plan, coordinate and direct all operations of the Clerk's Office in accepting, filing, preserving and providing access to all the records of the Circuit and County courts: Criminal, Traffic, Civil, Small Claims, Probate, Child Support, Child Support Enforcement, etc. In addition, his office disburses monies collected to the various State, County, local agencies, and the public as required by law or court order. Mr. Fussell is a leader who has demonstrated broad success in business, civic affairs and government for more than 30 years.
Mr. Fussell’s government experience includes service under four Jacksonville mayors and ongoing interaction with both state and federal government agencies as well. After four years in Mayor John Delaney's administration as Director of Government/Business Relations and Legislative Affairs, he returned to serve on Mayor John Peyton's transition team as a member of the Planning and Zoning Committee and the Budget and Review Committee. Fussell was a member of Mayor Ed Austin's Fiscal Policy Advisory Commission and Mayor Tommy Hazouri's Land Development Regulations Commission, and also served on the city’s Charter Revision Commission and the Affordable Housing Advisory Committee.
He is also a past President of the Jacksonville City Council, overseeing all legislative matters and a municipal budget of nearly $1 billion.
With leadership roles in all three branches of government (executive, legislative, and judicial) Mr. Fussell has a unique perspective on how these branches interact. Using this perspective, Mr. Fussell has built unity amongst the branches bringing resolution to issues that failed to be resolved while each branch was functioning independently.
In addition to his public sector leadership, Mr. Fussell has significant experience in the private sector. He has held State of Florida certifications as both a realtor and a building contractor and has broad experience in both fields. His significant management and strategic planning skills have repeatedly led to much success in both the public and private sectors.
Mr. Fussell, a native of Jacksonville, resides in Duval County with his wife Rebecca, son Chandler and Herschel the Wonder Dog! Ronnie and his family are active members of Westside Baptist Church.
Duties of the Clerk's Office
Among the duties of the Clerk's Office:
- Attending and supporting Court hearings and trials
- Filing of indictments, information, and verdicts
- Processing all civil and criminal cases
- Preparation of appellate records
- Jury service management
- Collection and disbursement of fines, court costs, forfeitures, fees, and various service charges
- Conducting mortgage foreclosure sales
- Maintaining custody of all evidence and exhibits entered by the courts
- Issuing process service documents
- Maintaining the court registry
- Recording and indexing of deeds, mortgages, and descriptions of all county property
- Processing of tax deed applications
- Conducting tax deed sales
- Recording of public defender liens and judgments entered by the courts
- Recording of tax liens, claims against an estate, instruments of conveyance, agreements, contracts, maps, plats of subdivisions, and surveys
- Maintenance of a public records library
- Collection and disbursement of documentary stamp monies
- Issuance and recording of marriage license applications
- Compilation of statistical data for state agencies and the judiciary
- Maintenance of record storage systems and facilities
- Processing of passport applications
There are many other duties, some statutory, others are based on local court procedures and rules.