Circuit Civil

View the Remote Civil Jury Trial Pilot Program

After a successful first remote civil jury trial, Duval County will be conducting the second fully remote civil jury trial in the State of Florida. The trial is a result of the Fourth Judicial Circuit being chosen by the Florida Supreme Court to serve as one of five remote civil trial pilot projects throughout the State. This historic remote trial will begin with jury selection on September 29, 2020 with the trial itself taking place on September 30, 2020. The entire trial, from jury selection through final verdict, will be conducted remotely utilizing the ZOOM application.

The trial will be available for viewing on Courtroom View Network. All interested parties are invited to watch the proceedings by visiting CVN's coverage of the second Duval County Remote Trial.

CVN's coverage of the first Duval County Remote Trial.

General Information

The Circuit Civil Department processes civil cases for disputes involving sums of money that exceed $30,000. Below are some of the types of cases that are filed in Circuit Civil. If you need additional assistance, please call us at (904) 255-2000.

Auto Negligence

These cases deal with any personal injury, property damage or wrongful death that is caused by the alleged negligent operation of a motor vehicle, as defined in section 316.003, Florida Statutes. Vehicles can include any self-propelled vehicles that are not operated on rails or a guide way. This does not include bicycles or mopeds, but it can include the following, among others:

  • Automobiles
  • Trucks
  • Buses
  • Motorcycles

Other Negligence

Negligence related to death, injury or damage to property. These can be claims for statutory relief on account of death or injury and can include, among others:

  • Watercraft
  • Asbestos-related diseases

Professional Malpractice

Lawsuits relating to medical, legal or other professional malpractice.

Product Liability

The Circuit Civil Department handles all matters that involve the alleged responsibility of manufacturers or sellers of articles that cause injury or damage because the articles are defective or in faulty condition. This also includes the alleged failure to provide instructions that could have prevented the injuries in question.


There is an entire chapter of Florida Statutes devoted to laws about condominiums (Chapter 718). Our office is responsible for handling lawsuits that are related to this part of the law. Note that a condominium association—not just an individual condominium unit—must be a party to the lawsuit.

Contract and Indebtedness

We also deal with all contract actions and all actions relating to promissory notes and other debts. This includes lawsuits over the sale of goods as well as the following, among others:

  • Uniform Commercial Code litigation
  • Open accounts
  • Money lent
  • Breach of contract
  • Breach of lease agreement
  • Breach of insurance contract
  • Construction liens (formerly called mechanics’ liens)
  • Commercial Evictions

Real Property / Mortgage Foreclosure

The Circuit Civil Department is responsible for all matters relating to the possession, title and boundaries of real properties, including:

  • Purchase
  • Partition
  • Quieting title and removing encumbrances
  • Seals reformation
  • Rescissions and cancellation
  • Ejectment actions
  • All matters relating to the involvement of legal and equitable liens against real property including foreclosures and sales, and foreclosures associated with condominiums

Eminent Domain

Eminent domain is the right of the government to take ownership of private property for public use. Our office handles these cases, including inverse condemnation by state agencies, political subdivisions and public-service corporations.

Other Civil

Matters also filed with the Circuit Civil department include, among others:

  • Declaratory judgments
  • Injunctions
  • Administrative agency appeals
  • Bond estreatures
  • Replevins
  • Habeas corpus proceedings
  • Forfeitures
  • Interpleader

Working with the Circuit Civil Department

Please understand that the law prohibits the Clerk’s Office from giving any legal advice. If you need legal advice, you may want to consider consulting a qualified attorney.

For your convenience, you can find additional information about laws, opinions and forms in the Law Library on the second floor of the Duval County Courthouse.

Filing Documents with the Clerk’s Office

Electronic filing (e-Filing) is now required for all attorneys filing in the State of Florida. For more information about e-filing, please visit the E-filing Portal. If you need help getting started, please visit our Electronic Court Access page here.

Those who choose to represent themselves in legal matters can also file documents electronically using the statewide e-filing portal at The portal is available for your convenience 24 hours a day, seven days a week. E-filing is not required for self-represented litigants and the Clerk’s Office will accept paper filings.

Viewing Case Information Online

For your convenience, you can view the case information online at the Clerk’s Online Resource e-Portal (CORE). A case number or Plaintiff or Defendant name will be needed to search and locate the case. If you have any question or concerns about CORE, we invite you to email the CORE Helpdesk at

Defendant Information

If you are a defendant in a civil case, you are not required to have an attorney to file a case or case documents in the Circuit Civil Department. Please understand that the Clerk’s Office cannot by law offer any legal advice or assistance.

Served a Summons

A Summons and Complaint are legal documents that start a legal action. A Summons is served on a person involved in a legal proceeding to inform the individual that he or she must answer the Complaint. The Complaint explains how violations of civil laws caused a loss or injury to another party. It also identifies the person who committed these violations.

Someone who is served with these documents and accused in the Complaint of violating civil laws is called the Defendant in the case. The party who files a Complaint claiming to have suffered loss or injury is called the Plaintiff in the case. Cases can often have multiple Plaintiffs and Defendants.

Answering the Complaint

The Defendant in the case must file an Answer to the Complaint. This must be done within 20 calendar days of the day he or she was served with the Summons and Complaint. The original Answer must be filed with the Clerk’s Office, and a copy should be mailed to the Plaintiff or the Plaintiff’s attorney. If a Defendant fails to do this, a default will be entered against that Defendant. When a default is entered, the Defendant is accepting all of the allegations in the Complaint as being true. 

Those who represent themselves without an attorney can file documents in person with the Circuit Civil Department or by mail to the address below.

Information for Defendants in a Foreclosure case can be found on the Foreclosure Department page.

Plaintiff Information

Initial filing

Everyone filing a new case must include a Summons, Complaint and Civil Coversheet (Civil Coversheet Form 1.997). A Summons is served on a person involved in a legal proceeding informing the recipient that he or she is to answer the Complaint. The Complaint describes the facts and legal reasons about how violations of civil laws were committed that caused a loss or injury to another party. It also identifies who committed these violations.

The party who files a Complaint alleging to have suffered the loss or injury is called the Plaintiff in the case. A party served with these documents that is named and accused in the Complaint of violating civil laws is called the Defendant in the case. Cases can often have multiple Plaintiffs and Defendants.

Information for Plaintiffs in a Foreclosure case can be found in the Foreclosure Department page.

Foreign Judgment

As its name suggests, a Foreign Judgment is a judgment that comes from a court outside of Florida. To file a Foreign Judgment in Duval County, the following is required:

  • Certified Copy of the Judgment rendered from the applicable state
  • Original Affidavit that has been notarized and identifies the debtor and creditors


When a Motion is filed, it must be followed with a proposed order to be signed by the judge. When a motion is e-filed, it is the attorney’s responsibility to send a copy of the motion and order to the judge. Please accompany the motion and order with envelopes directly to the judge’s office. All mailings should be addressed to:

(The assigned Judge)

501 West Adams Street

Jacksonville, Florida 32202

Writ of Possession

A Writ of Possession orders one party to give up ownership of property so another party can take possession it. The Clerk’s Office can issue a Writ of Possession ONLY if there is an order or judgment that specifically states that it be issued. There is a $7.00 fee for the Clerk’s Office to issue the Writ. For more information, please see Florida Statute 78.19(2).

Writ of Execution

A Writ of Execution puts in force a court judgment that orders a party to take or be in possession of property. The Clerk’s Office may issue a Writ of Execution ONLY if there is an order or judgment that specifically states that it be issued. There is a $7.00 fee for the Clerk’s Office to issue the Writ. For more information, please see Florida Statute 56.021 and Florida Statute 56.031.

Writ of Replevin

Please refer to Florida Statute 78.01 for the meaning of a replevin. The Clerk’s Office may issue a Writ of Replevin ONLY if there is an order or judgment that specifically states that it be issued. There is an $85.00 fee for the Clerk’s Office to issue a Writ of Replevin. For more information about issuing a Writ of Replevin, please see Florida Statute 78.045.

Medical Malpractice – 90-Day Extension

In Medical Malpractice cases, an automatic 90-day extension of the statute limitations will be granted to allow the reasonable investigation required by Florida Statute 766.104(2).

Notice of Domicile

If you want to show that you intend to maintain a Florida residence as a permanent home, you can file a sworn Notice of Domicile with the Clerk of Courts, according to Florida Statute 222.17. The Circuit Civil Department can issue a Notice of Domicile only for Duval County.

There are two ways to get a Notice of Domicile:

  1. Visit the Circuit Civil Department and ask the court to issue a Notice of Domicile. There is a $5.00 fee to have the court issue the notice, and then a $10.00 fee for it to be recorded ($15.00 total). Please submit one of the following:
    • Florida ID with your current address
    • Document or mail with your name and current address (i.e., a utilities bill, phone bill, lease agreement, etc.)
    • Military ID
  2. Print the Notice of Domicile and have it notarized. Fees are determined by the notary public you choose. Once notarized, the Notice of Domicile still must be recorded by the Recording Department, Room 1051 at the Duval County Courthouse. There is a $10.00 fee to have it recorded.

Office Information

The Circuit Civil Department

Office Hours

Monday through Friday (excluding holidays): 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Mailing Address

Duval County Clerk of Courts


501 West Adams Street, Room 1209

Jacksonville, FL 32202


(904) 255-2000

Contact the Circuit Civil department

Case / Reference #:

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.