General Information

This page offers a wealth of information about the Juvenile Department of the Clerk’s Office. We hope you find it helpful. If we can be of service, please give us a call at (904) 255-2000.

The Juvenile Department handles all cases heard on behalf of or against a minor who falls under the statutory age limit of 18 years. This can include juveniles who are involved in matters that call for intervention by state agencies that work with children and families.

As you’d expect, these proceedings are of a confidential nature. And because of this, only selective information can be given out over the phone. In addition, only the juvenile, the legal parent/guardian/custodian, or the attorney of record can receive case information when appearing in person. They must, of course, present proper identification.

While all juvenile-delinquency and dependency cases are confidential, they may be accessed by the child, the parent or guardian, or the representing attorney, with proper identification. Please understand that no information can be given over the phone. If you have questions about a juvenile case, we’d be happy to help you in person at the Juvenile Clerk’s Office. We are located at 501 West Adams Street in room 2017, on the second floor. Please be sure to bring proper identification.

We ask you to bear in mind that, due to legal restrictions, the Clerk’s Office cannot provide legal advice.

If you’d like to find out whether your child has been arrested, please contact the juvenile assessment center at (904) 798-4706. Again, because this information is confidential, we can’t give out charges, court dates or a child’s detention status over the phone.

Case Types

Juvenile cases are categorized in one of three ways:


  1. Juvenile-delinquency cases (violations of criminal law):

    Delinquency cases involve minors who have been charged with a crime, and they are initiated by the State Attorney’s Office.

  2. Juvenile-dependency cases (cases of child abuse, neglect or abandonment):

    Dependency cases involve children who have been abused, neglected or abandoned, resulting in a custody issue for the court to resolve. These cases are typically initiated by the Florida Department of Children and Families, though individual citizens may also initiate them.

  3. Children In Need of Services / Families In Need of Services (for the protection and care of children, the promotion of stability in families and provision of needed services):

    Children in Need of Services cases involve children who need intervention to keep them from becoming involved in crime or other harmful circumstances. These cases are typically initiated by the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, though the child’s parent or legal guardian may also initiate them .

  4. Notice to Appear (Citation for Minors Sexting):

    The minor must appear at the Duval County Clerk’s Office within 10 days of receiving the citation, the clerk will provide the minor and legal guardian a case number and a written notice directing the legal guardian to contact Teen Court.

  5. Emancipation

    Emancipation is the removal of disability of nonage. In other words, emancipation is the act by which a person gains all the rights and responsibilities of an adult.

Case Information

In keeping with Florida law and judicial rules, information concerning juvenile cases is available only to the juvenile, the juvenile’s parents or legal guardian, or the juvenile's attorney of record. For access to information in a juvenile court file, those parties must appear in person with a valid picture ID at the Juvenile Department service counter in the Duval County Courthouse.

Juvenile-Delinquency Cases:

When juveniles are detained, they appear before the court within 24 hours to determine whether they can be released or whether they should remain in detention. After this initial detention hearing, an arraignment is held, and it is then that the juvenile pleads to the charges.

If a not-guilty plea is chosen, it may be changed during a docket call held at a later date. If a defendant pleads guilty or no contest, the case moves forward to the disposition or sentencing. But if a defendant continues with a plea of not guilty, the case goes to a non-jury trial. In this type of trial, the judge determines whether a child is guilty or innocent based on the evidence presented. Please keep in mind that a final judgment, or lien, is placed against the parents (or guardian) of all juveniles that owe court fees.

If restitution is levied, payments are collected by the Juvenile Department and forwarded to the victims. A $3.50 fee is charged every time a payment is taken for this service. The court fees are also collected by the Juvenile Department. The Clerk's Office accepts cash, money orders, cashier’s checks, and credit cards (MasterCard, VISA, Discover and American Express). Please understand that the Clerk's Office cannot accept personal checks.

Juvenile-Dependency Cases:

A juvenile-dependency case involves allegations of abuse, abandonment or neglect of a minor child. These cases are started when someone calls the abuse hotline. When this happens, an investigation is conducted, and if there is probable cause, the case is brought before a judge. A shelter hearing is then held followed by an arraignment. Depending on the plea, either a docket call or disposition takes place. If the parents deny the allegations, then a trial is held in a non-jury court of law.

In these proceedings, the judge makes a decision regarding guilt or innocence. If the court declares the child dependent, the parent(s) enter into a case plan with the Department of Children and Families (DCF). This plan is created to assure that the parent(s) comply with regulations or sanctions imposed by the court. DCF ensures that children are safe and free from risk. If the case plan is not followed, the children may be placed in the permanent custody of the State of Florida.

Court Dates

If you have a court date that you need to reschedule, please contact your attorney. Unfortunately, the Clerk's Office is not authorized to reschedule juvenile court dates.


Restitution is the court-ordered payment(s) to an individual, group or entity to compensate for an injury or loss. It is paid by the party found to have been responsible for the loss or injury. In a juvenile-delinquency case, when the court thinks is it necessary, it will order a minor found guilty of a delinquent act to pay restitution to the victims(s) for their injury or loss.  

Making Restitution Payments

Restitution payments may be made in the form of a cashier’s check, certified check or money order. They may be paid in person or by mail at the address below.

Please make the cashier’s check, certified check or money order payable to the Clerk of Courts. Also, please be sure to:

  • Include the juvenile’s complete name and case number
  • Indicate that the payment is for "restitution"
  • Include a $3.50 clerk’s processing fee for each restitution payment

Again, the Clerk’s Office can accept only a cashier’s check, certified check or money order. We cannot accept personal checks, and please do not send cash.

Getting your Restitution Money

The Clerk’s Office may issue restitution payments to a victim only after receiving payments for that specific victim and as ordered by the court. Of course, if a defendant or juvenile does not make payments as ordered by the court, the victim may seek relief. Please contact the Juvenile Department at (904) 255-2000 for more information.

Juvenile Fees

Juvenile Fee Schedule
Fee Description Amount
Restitution payments - Clerk's processing fee for each restitution payment $3.50
Adoptions (includes sealing of court file) $343.00
Filing fee for private dependency action $400.00
Public Defender application fee $50.00
Application Fee for Court Appointed Counsel $50.00.
Application Fee for determination of indigent status $25.00
Issuing a summons (each summons) $10.00
For verifying any instrument presented for certification prepared by someone other than clerk, per page $3.50
Postal charges incurred by the clerk of the circuit court in any mailing by certified or registered mail shall be paid by the party at whose instance the mailing is made (varies)
Removal of Disability of Minors (Emancipation) $400.00

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a felony?

A felony is a criminal offense of a more serious nature that is punishable by a prison sentence of at least one year.

What is a misdemeanor?

A misdemeanor is a crime lower than a felony and generally punishable by fine or imprisonment for less than one year and not in a penitentiary.

What is a delinquent act?

According to Chapter 985 of the Florida Statutes, a minor is found to have committed a delinquent act if he or she is found to be in contempt of court or is found guilty of committing a violation of the law that would be considered a crime if committed by an adult.  

What is adjudicated delinquent?

Adjudicated delinquent is the term used when a minor is legally considered to have committed a crime as a child. This can happen only after a child has been found guilty by the court or has admitted guilt. However, being found delinquent does not meet the same legal grounds as being convicted of a crime as an adult.

What is a withhold of adjudication?

A withhold of adjudication occurs when an individual is found guilty of or admits guilt to a violation of the law, but the court does not legally convict the individual of a crime or adjudicate a juvenile as a delinquent.

I have moved. What do I need to do?

Juveniles or their parents are required to keep the Clerk's Office informed of their correct address. If the mailing address changes, it must be submitted in writing, in person or by mail to the Juvenile Department.

We received a summons for Collection Court. What should I do?

  • Contact the Collections/Juvenile Department to set up a payment arrangement.
  • Attend the Collection Court hearing.

I missed my Collection Court hearing. What will happen now?

  • If it is your first notice for Collection Court, contact the Collections/Juvenile Department to make payment arrangement immediately to avoid a second notice.
  • After a second notice is issued and arrangements are not made, and after you have failed to appear in court, your driver’s license could be suspended until all pending cases are paid in full.

How do I set up payment arrangements?

Please visit the Collection/Juvenile Department and provide a Florida ID. The contract signer must be at least 18 years of age.

My driver’s license has been suspended. How do I get it reinstated?

To reinstate a driver’s license, court fees on all outstanding cases must be paid in full. At that time, the Collection Department will issue a release, and the guarantor is responsible for taking it to the Department of Motor Vehicles to have the license reinstated.

Do I have to come to court with my child?

Yes. Please understand that the Clerk’s Office cannot excuse anyone from a subpoena or a summons.

Am I responsible for my child’s criminal activities?

Yes, until your child is 18 years old.

Can I pay my child’s restitution and/or court fees at the Duval County Courthouse?

Yes. Please make your payments at the Clerk’s Office at 501 West Adams Street, 2nd Floor, Juvenile Department.

What forms of payment do you accept?

We accept cash, cashier’s check, money order and credit cards (MasterCard, VISA, Discover, and American Express).

Do you accept personal checks?

No. We’re sorry, but our office cannot accept personal checks.

Can I mail my payment for restitution and/or court fees?

Yes, if paying by cashier’s check or money order. Please make checks payable to Clerk of Courts and mail to the Juvenile Department.

Can anyone see my child’s juvenile records?

No. We treat them in a confidential manner. But please note that a parent, a legal guardian, the child’s attorney, law-enforcement officials or the armed forces may obtain information with proper identification and/or a release signed by the child.

Do I have to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility to have my juvenile criminal-history record sealed or expunged?

The following considerations are important in the decision of whether to seek the judicial sealing or expunction of a juvenile criminal-history record. Before October 1, 1994, juvenile arrest records were not maintained by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) in the criminal-history record system. Juvenile arrests for felonies occurring before October 1, 1994 and for misdemeanors before July 1, 1996 are not available to the general public unless the juvenile was treated as an adult. Juvenile records are subject to an abbreviated retention schedule, if certain qualifications are met, which results in the Juvenile defendants who successfully complete a qualified diversion program, as set out in s.943.0582, Florida Statutes, may be eligible for expunction for their record as the term is defined therein. For anyone who would like to pursue the judicial sealing or expunction of his or her juvenile record, the eligibility criteria and procedure can be found in s.943.059 and s.943.0585, Florida Statutes. These are similar to the criteria and procedure for adults.

How long does it typically take to receive a response from my application for a Certificate of Eligibility?

The current processing time is 90 or fewer working days from the date the application is received, processed and mailed back to the customer.

Special Note: If the application is not complete at the time of submission, we have no choice but to return it. Of course, this will cause the application process to be delayed beyond the 90-working-day period.

What is the difference between having a criminal-history record sealed and having it expunged?

Sealed record: When a criminal-history record is sealed, the public does not have access to it. Certain governmental or related entities—primarily those listed in s.943.059(4)(a), Florida Statutes—have access to sealed record information in its entirety.

Expunged record: By contrast, if your record has been expunged, those who would normally have had access to your sealed record will be told that you have had the record expunged. They would not be able to access to the record without a court order. All they would receive is a statement saying that “Criminal Information has been Expunged from this Record”.

By law, s.943.0582(8), Florida Statutes, a juvenile diversion expunge does not prevent the record subject from seeking a judicial expunction or sealing under s.943.0585 or s.943.059, Florida Statutes.

Office Information

Juvenile Department

Office Hours

Monday through Friday (excluding holidays): 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Mailing Address

Duval County Clerk of Courts

Attn: Juvenile Department

501 West Adams Street, Room 2017

Jacksonville, FL 32202


(904) 255-2000

Contact the Juvenile Department

Case / Reference #:

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.